Horrible, Really BAD day

So, if you have kids then you can understand, some days they seem to do one thing after another to drive you crazy.  That was my day yesterday.  It started out by going up town to get some groceries and to Lowes for some more stain to finish my project of staining my porch.  While in Lowes my middle child had her feelings hurt and proceeded to pout the rest of the time.  She is not one to get over things quickly.  Then Isabelle made a scene at the checkout wanting to scan mommys card.  I wont even go into the details of the grocery store.  Try taking 3 kids in the a grocery store without SOMETHING happening.  Luckily my two big girls were good but the little one was hungry and being a pill.

I came home and needed to mow the grass (hubby is away).  Then I fed the kids lunch and tried for 2 hours to get Isabelle to take a nap.  She has started refusing naps since her big sisters are home and do not have to take one.  I kept finding her playing in her room instead of laying down.  While I was trying to get her to lay down I went in Kaylees room and cleaned it top to bottom.  Hung up clothes, separated toys, filled a whole bag with broken toys/trash.  Finally gave up on Izzy taking a nap and went and cleaned her room, started clothes, helped Allyssa with her room and came back down stairs to find a mess in the living room and kitchen after I had already cleaned up there before heading up stairs.  I totally lost my cool and proceeded to yell and throw a big girl fit of my own.  God is working on me in this area and therefore I have been convicted about it ever since.  Some days I really do win the worst mom of the year award.  I could go into way more details but you will find out shortly why I’m skimming over the first half of the day mess.

I invited dad over for dinner since mom was working.  I had planned on making pork chops, mashed potato casserole, fried fresh garden okra, and homemade ice cream.  Well as I was peeling potatoes in the sink I look out and see Zoe and Jillie (2 of the goats) out of their pen.  I call the kids down to go put them up.  Allyssa goes running down and comes back saying she cant find Riley.  I had bacon on the stove, potatoes boiling and was in the middle of getting everything started.  I told her wait a minute and I’d come down there.  She goes back down and no sooner had she got down there she comes running back.  She had found Riley but Riley was stuck in the hay barrel.  I had put a heavy duty fence in the hay barrel to try to keep them out.  I go running down there and I thought her leg was stuck in between one of the panels.  The more I got looking it was pierced through her leg.  I’m trying not to freak at this point.  I tell Allyssa to run and get dads BIG wire cutter.  It took every bit of muscle I had to cut the fence because again its a heavy duty fence.  I get it cut around her and her leg free.  I bring her up to the house and know I need to get the fence out of her leg but Isabelle and Kaylee are crying and totally freaking out, Allyssa is praying.  So, I try calling my dad, he didn’t answer.  I ask Allyssa to come hold Riley in the sink.  She says, “Mommy, as me anything else, I just can’t hold my baby.”  So I try calling dad again, he still didn’t answer so I call my wonderful sister in law (We live on the same driveway-family land).  She comes up and helps me get the fence out of Rileys leg.  By this point my stress level is through the roof.  I still have dinner on the stove havent even began making the pork chops and dad is supposed to be here in 15 minutes.  He text me back and says he’s on his way (he had just got all the text and voicemails). 

I decided to put Riley in a dog crate in the house so I could watch her and also try to keep her still and clean.  We go get everything set up, I sprayed down the crate, put a bowl of water and some hay in there and put her in.  I clean her leg as best I can and try to put some gauze and wrap it because of where the injury occurred you cant really wrap.  Dad came and left to take a shower so I go to finish making dinner.  As with everything else during my day dinner was a mess too.  The potato casserole was too mushy, the okra was mostly too big so we ended up having like 15 pieces of okra total, no ice cream, and the pork chops turned out tough.  I did make some hush-puppies since there wasn’t enough Okra.  I will have to have dad over again for a re-do so he remembers that I really can cook. 

By the time all this was said and done and I got the disaster in my kitchen cleaned up it was now 7:30 PM.  Is it bedtime yet??? I had the kids go ahead and feed and put the other goats up, feed and put the dogs up and get ready for bed.  We then took Riley out to walk her around for a few minutes and loved on her.  Once I got the kids in bed I came down stairs and pulled out my Bible.   

“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.” Ephesians 4:2

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”           Matthew 11:28

View this morning, decided to put them together in the dog pen by the house for a little while.


  1. Monica at Lucky Mojito August 11, 2017 at 10:56 am

    Awww.. You did a great job. I would have been freaking out too. Our pets are a big part of the family and we do our best to keep them safe. A skunk kept getting into our chicken coop so we trapped it. Too bad you couldn’t get to the okra. I love hushpuppies too though lol

    1. tannah@tannahsjourney.com August 11, 2017 at 11:32 am

      Thank you so much. Wow, how did catching a skunk go? I bet that was interesting. 😀

  2. Samantha August 11, 2017 at 11:04 am

    Gotta love animals! They always seem to find trouble, and ALWAYS at the worst possible times!

    1. tannah@tannahsjourney.com August 11, 2017 at 11:36 am

      YES Indeed! If something bad is going to happen, it usually happens when hubby is away. Thank you for your comment.

  3. Chandra August 11, 2017 at 1:17 pm

    Oh wow, you really did have a bad day!! It sounds like you handled it really well, though. I definitely would have been panicking about the goat. I’m hoping to have some of my own some day, and they are just constantly energetic and into things! And then besides all that, you made dinner for your family and read your Bible. You might see that day as a mess, but it looks like a success from here! Go mama!

    1. tannah@tannahsjourney.com August 11, 2017 at 1:26 pm

      Thank you Chandra! My hubby was away on a military training assignment so it was def. stressful. 😀

    2. tannah@tannahsjourney.com August 11, 2017 at 1:30 pm

      Went to your site and love it. Tried to comment on your compost post and it said “Blocked as suspected bot.” LOL

  4. InsomnoMom August 11, 2017 at 1:37 pm

    Somehow days with kids (the human ones and the animal ones) often go like this 🙂 I could never keep my goats in their fences. They were always in the road. They destroyed our chicken coop (butted the plywood walls completely off, nails and all). They got their heads stuck in every bucket on our property. They got tangled in any bit of line or rope. They destroyed my fruit trees. They ate every type of decorative plant or vegetable I tried to grow, including the strawberry patch I had been working on for three years. This is why we no longer have goats. LOL.

  5. Christine August 12, 2017 at 3:27 am

    Don’t know that I could have kept it together. Good job!

    1. tannah@tannahsjourney.com August 13, 2017 at 7:56 am

      Thank you, I’m glad the goat is better now. 😀

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments.